In rare cases, instructors might find that grades are transferring incorrectly for students. This usually manifests in one of the following ways:
- A grade or grades have transferred to the LMS for a lesson that the student has not yet completed
- A grade or grades have transferred to the LMS for a lesson that the student has completed, but the instructor has not yet graded
- A grade or grades have transferred with the wrong value (i.e., the student receives 12/15 on the lesson, but the grade transfers as 15/15).
What causes this issue?
This issue is caused when incorrect lesson hooks are assigned to a lesson within your LMS. This may have occurred after the course was initially set up.
For example, if the lesson in your LMS for "Getting Started" accidentally uses the lesson hook for the Science Interactive lesson "Laboratory Safety," then student grades for Laboratory Safety will transfer into the Getting Started section of your LMS's gradebook.
How I do correct the lesson links?
1. Navigate to the lesson link settings in your LMS course
Depending on procedures in your institution, you may need an LMS administrator to do this for you.
2. Review affected lesson hooks and correct as needed
3. Select "Sync Grades" at the bottom of the gradebook page.
4. Verify that students are now seeing the correct lesson when they select the lesson link from your LMS
Ask a student to click on the lesson link in your LMS and tell you which lesson loads.
After clicking on the lesson link, students SHOULD see the first page of the Science Interactive lesson you have linked. They should NOT see the lesson list or a different lesson.
How do I make sure affected grades are corrected in my LMS?
If the affected student has already completed the lesson:
After you have corrected the lesson link, instruct the student to click on it from within your LMS. This will trigger their grade to be re-sent from Cloud, which usually happens within the hour.
Depending on your LMS, you may need to clear their incorrect grade for that lesson from the LMS gradebook before the student clicks on the updated link.
If the affected student has not completed the lesson:
After you have corrected the lesson link, wait for the student to complete and submit the lesson, then grade it as normal. Grades will transfer to your LMS once the lesson has been fully graded.
You can clear the incorrect lesson grade from your LMS in the meantime if you would like.
If your student had previously started the lesson before the lesson link was fixed, they may need to re-click on the link in your LMS to allow their grade to transfer.