Science Interactive recommens using LTI 1.3/Advantage for the most secure and powerful connection between your LMS and SI Cloud.
LTI 1.3 is the newest integration standard for how learning tools like SI Cloud can connect to LMSs like Canvas, Blackboard, D2L/Brightspace, etc.
LTI 1.3 Advantage offers the following benefits:
- It makes your integration with SI Cloud easier to set up, maintain, and use than LTI 1.1 or LTI 1.3 Manual Setup
- It requires less than a third of the actions required to set up LTI 1.1 courses.
- It includes many new features that aren't supported in LTI 1.1 or LTI 1.3 Manual Setup.
- Its streamlined setup means a significantly reduced chance for integration errors.
LTI 1.3 Advantage includes many new features, including the following:
Optimized grade transfer: Completed grades in SI Cloud transfer to your LMS independently of which lesson link your students used.
- This alleviates student confusion because they can work through lessons directly in Cloud without returning to the LMS to click on the next lesson link.
- Improved Cloning Logic: Clone from a specific section instead of only the most recent one. This allows you to maintain template courses in SI Cloud more easily.
- Automatic Rostering: Cloud enrolls students as they enroll in your LMS instead of as they click on their first lesson link.
- Faster Integration: Add lesson links in just a few clicks with no need to copy/paste complicated hooks between windows.
We strongly recommend integrating your courses with LTI 1.3 Advantage as it provides new features and improved security, and has a more user-friendly experience overall.
However, we know that some customers may be unable to implement this new LTI protocol due to restrictions at their institution. If this is the case, your SI Cloud course can still be integrated into your LMS, though you will be missing some key new features.