Under the Experimentation tab within an exercise, instructors have the option to "Add Data Collection."
Data Table-Math: Customized table with math-input cells that can be filled.
1. In an Exercise page, select "+Add Data Collection" and then "Data Table - Math."
2. Fill in the following, then select "Generate Data Table:"
- Full Name: ex. Data Table 1: Plant Measurements.
- Short Name: ex. Data Table 1.
- Compose Question: Add any additional instructions.
- Add the number of rows and columns. Check the boxes if a header row and/or header column are needed.
3. Select "Save."
The data table will appear on the exercise page after it loads. To access the table again, select "Edit" on the far right.
4. Edit the column and row headers by replacing the automatically generated "Text" in each cell.
Add additional response boxes if needed by selecting the "r" icon.
5. Select each Response dropdown to enter the answers.
The dropdown for each Responds corresponds with the number shown in the grid.
6. The table at the far right of the page shows what the final table will look like.
7. Select "More options" at the bottom.
- Penalty Points: SI does not currently use this item.
- Contains Math: Yes or No. Enabling will give students the ability to add some math symbols, superscripts, and subscripts.
- Maximum Length (characters): SI's setting is 1000 to ensure the student has enough space to add answers. This is important for data table answers that are text instead of numeric.
- Stem numeration: SI does not currently use this item.
- Case sensitive: SI's setting is No.
- Multiple line: SI's setting is Yes.
- Browser spellcheck: SI's setting is No.
- Font size: SI's setting is Normal.
- Special characters: SI's setting is No. If Yes is selected and used in conjunction with "Contains math," students will get access to the following characters:
- Response container (global): Leave everything blank except Input type. Select Text or Number depending on the information the student will be entering.
- Response container (individual): Don't add.
- Details: (SI typically does not use these fields for Data Tables) Acknowledgments, Distractor rationale, Rubric reference, Stimulus, Sample answer, Distractor Rationale per response.
8. Answers are recorded under "Equation values" in each corresponding numbered Response container.
- The Response boxes correspond with the data table cells from left to right and top to bottom.
- To add an answer, select the appropriate Response container, click “Add,” and record your answer in the “Value” panel.
- A mini math pad will populate for you to enter your answer. Use the drop-down menu to access the type of entry you need (i.e. Basic, algebra, geometry, units, etc.)
9. Go into "More option," leave the settings at default except change "Template Font Scale" to "Normal (100%)."
If symbols are needed, add those for students under "Symbols" by clicking "Add" to add a new group, then use the drop-down to find the key board needed.